0ne hit wonders

Post your stories, histories, questions and answers about anything music related! Turn it up!

0ne hit wonders

Postby Yum Yum » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:27 pm

[list=][/list]My Top Ten One Hit Wonders Tonight just could be the night The Velvets I Wonder Whats Shes Doing Tonight Barry And The Tamberlanes Just Like Romeo&Juliet The Reflections Smokey Places The Corsairs Eve Of Destruction Barry McGuire Mule Skinner Blues The Fendermen Hey Girl Freddie Scott Our Winter Love Bill Purcell Mission Bell Donnie Brooks and Love Me With All Your Heart Ray Charles Singers WHATS YOURS ?
Yum Yum

Re: 0ne hit wonders

Postby RichZ » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:19 am

Corsairs are right up there in the world of one-hit-wonders, but the Velvets had a number of other recordings, including At Last, That Lucky Old Sun, and I. Freddie Scott was a soul music staple for years after Hey Girl.
RichZ

Re: 0ne hit wonders

Postby RichZ » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:04 pm

As I said --[list=][*] the Corsairs - Smokey Places is right up there.
[*]I've always considered the Shields - You Cheated to be the epitome of the one hit wonder because it was a group put together specifically to record one song. They couldn't maintain because they couldn't perform in public, as most of the members were under contract elsewhere. They put together entirely different groups to do TV appearances and to record as the shields after the 1st two releases. I guess Nature Boy, which is pretty much the original Sheilds was a hit, but nothing like Cheated.
[*]As long as we've got the Shields there, might as well include the Slades, as they were never heard from again after the Shields obliterated their original version of the song.
[*]I have to include the Silhouettes - Get a Job. They may have continued to recorded into the mid-sixties, but they never had another national, or even regional hit. They were scheduled to sing their next release on Dick Clark's show and be presented with a gold record for Get A Job at the same time. But they had some kind of disagreement with Clark and were booted off the show -- and pretty much into oblivion, as far as the record buying public was concerned.
[*]Speaking of Silhouettes, how about the Rays? They continued recording after Silhouettes on the Shade, but never had another hit. In fact, most of their output after that was pretty bad. Always had a soft spot for this one, as it as the 1st song that my own street corner group ever sang together.
[*]Danleers - One Summer Night. They recorded for Mercury for three years after that, but after the first couple following summer night didn't sell, Mercury never released any of their other songs. Finally escaped their contract in the early 60s and tried other labels, but their time had come and gone by then.
[*]Contours - Do You Love Me? They recorded a ton of songs for Motown after that, most of which sounded like the 4 Tops. But they were never high on the publicity machine for Motown like the Temps, Tops and Miracles. Probably not a one hit wonder in the UK, but here they certainly were.
[*]Carnations - Long Tall Girl. They had been singing together for almost 10 years when this one broke big. Still, it was mostly an east coast thing, plus some popularity in LA. They did have some success before this as the backup group on a couple early Bo Diddly songs, and released a few songs as the Startones before that, but none ever sold. They were also the "House Group" at the Apollo for 3 or 4 years, filling in for missing acts and such. But Long Tall Girl was their only recording to reach the charts, anywhere.
[*]Videos - Trickle Trickle. Monster hit. I think they recorded one more record, but several members of the group were killed in a car crash shortly thereafter, perhaps prematurely forcing them into one-hit-wonderland. A couple of the survivors ended up backing up James Shepard in Shep and the Limelights.
[/list]
RichZ

Return to The Music