Mickey "Guitar" Baker Dies At 87

Post your stories, histories, questions and answers about anything music related! Turn it up!

Mickey "Guitar" Baker Dies At 87

Postby Matt The Cat » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:57 am

In case you didn’t hear, one of the greatest session guitar players of ALL-TIME, Mickey Baker, died yesterday in France at age 87. He will always be remembered as the Mickey in Mickey & Silvia, but you rock n’ rollers know how deep his guitar sound goes…deep into records by The Drifters, Ray Charles, Louis Jordan, Big Joe Turner and even Coleman Hawkins. Mickey’s dream early on was to be a jazz guitarist. He went a whole lot further as one of R&B and early Rock n’ Roll’s go-to guitar gods.
Matt The Cat
Site Admin

Re: Mickey "Guitar" Baker Dies At 87

Postby timevac3 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:18 am

Hey Matt, how do you know that was Mickey and not Ike on "It's Gonna Work out Fine"? I've heard it mentioned several times, but I don't know where the story comes from.
Wikipedia is noncommital on it (not that it should always be trusted).
Happy Holidays!
timevac3

Postby Matt The Cat » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:24 am

That's a good question. If you listen closely to the voice and compare it to other Mickey vocals, it sounds real close. Also, as you know, Ike wasn't much of a singer nor did he usually want to record his own voice, discovering numerous great vocalists to front his records even though his name was up front on the label. The recording sheet from Sue Records on that session notes that Ike was playing piano on that song and that Mickey Baker was on guitar and vocal. That may be our best clue right there. But, now that Ike and Mickey are both gone, we may never know for sure.

MTC
Matt The Cat
Site Admin

Postby timevac3 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:23 am

Thanks Matt. I knew you'd have a reasoned answer for that.
timevac3

Return to The Music