The Younger Generation

Post your stories, histories, questions and answers about anything music related! Turn it up!

The Younger Generation

Postby BFSD » Fri May 07, 2010 9:07 pm

I stopped at a Goodwill Book Store in San Diego on the way home from work. As I walked in I heard the sounds of the 5 Royals. I just listened as I looked at the books. Then another 5 Royals song came on and then another. I found a Nevada Barr book and went up to Pay. The girl was maybe 20-23. I ask her if she liked the 5 Royals. She said "How did you know it was the 5 Royals?". I told her that I was a fan of their music. She said that she played them all the time. She also played The Orioles, and Five Keys. I ask her if she had ever heard The Cardinals. She hadn't but she was going to look them up. She was playing all this off the Internet. Now that was a great trip.
BFSD

Re: The Younger Generation

Postby Matt The Cat » Sat May 08, 2010 1:23 pm

HA! And programmers tell me that no one wants to hear this music. And advertisers tell me that no one will support it. That's why my ideas keep getting turned down by commercial radio. And yet, I know and you do too that this music speaks to many generations...but it doesn't hit the right "demo". Sigh.

MTC
Matt The Cat
Site Admin

Postby BFSD » Sat May 08, 2010 5:39 pm

If they can't hear it they will find it. I have not listened to commercial radio for years, and I know many others that haven't also. But I listen to the music that I like at work and elsewhere. Almost eveyone old and young that comes into my office and hears the Ipod or Rockitradio, always askes what station is that great music from. I heard someone say once " Built it and they will come". I have been there three times.
BFSD

Postby Virginia » Sat May 08, 2010 6:54 pm

I agree with the "build it and they will come" theory. The younger generation of our family, especially those under 30 love to listen to the music of the 40’s, 50’s and 60’s. They are always taking home copies of Matt’s shows. One of these advertisers just is going to have to be smart enough to give it a try. Besides that there are a great many of my generation left on this planet and if my ancestors are any clue I should be around another 25 to 30 years, I sometimes think they (the advertisers) think we are all dead already.
Virginia

Return to The Music