Risque R&B

Post your stories, histories, questions and answers about anything music related! Turn it up!

Risque R&B

Postby richadNtexas » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:25 am

Hey Matt & Company! Is there a label for the kind of music that is represented by such as "My Ding A Ling", "Big 10 inch Record", "It Ain't The Meat", etc? Did I correctly guess it with the topic title here?
-richadNtexas
not the THIRD switch
richadNtexas

Re: Risque R&B

Postby Matt The Cat » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:36 am

Hey Richard,

Rhino put out a fantastic collection or risque R&B about 15 years ago. I believe it's out of print right now, BUT Amazon does have a few people selling it at a good price.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000 ... B0000032HL

-Matt The Cat
Matt The Cat
Site Admin

Postby timevac3 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:36 am

There are a number of these collections out. I have one that includes The Clovers as we had never heard them before. Ace put out a good collection about a year ago, but it's a tad pricey. It does however include The Mother Fuyer by Dirty Red (I think that came out on Aladdin originally). Amazingly, It was actually played on-air in NY in the early 50's (at least once). The sound is a crap shoot as most of these are masatered from well worn 78's, and I'm not sure every engineer knows not to use the RIAA curve on those.
Sony Legacy has a couple cd's of this material. The Ace is good too, as is the Rhino that Matt mentions.
They're great fun to listen to.
timevac3

Postby Matt The Cat » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:55 am

I got in trouble for playing "Mother Fuyer" on XM a few years back, but I'd never play that Clovers song you mentioned (although I do enjoy it in the privacy of my own record room). I only have the Clovers' song on a bootleg. I didn't know if was available commercially.
Matt The Cat
Site Admin

Postby timevac3 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:48 am

The Clovers' tune was on the same Ace CD as Mother Fuyer. It's called "Eat To The Beat....The Dirtiest of them Dirty Blues" . The track list is here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GLL1S8/ref=s9_simv_bw_p15_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0PD4X2FQZ40G48X2B58Y&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=507063831&pf_rd_i=5174
Many of the titles alone I wouldn't post here lol. I don't recall paying that much for it either.
Mother Fuyer was played on the "Mr. Blues Show" on WHBI by and according to Harold Ladell in 1949. Pretty bold, huh?
timevac3

Postby BFSD » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:15 am

Hi, Check with Fred and Fred Jr. at www.theatticrecordsstore.com These guys know there stuff and have almost everything.
BFSD

Postby timevac3 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:21 am

timevac3 wrote:The Clovers' tune was on the same Ace CD as Mother Fuyer. It's called "Eat To The Beat....The Dirtiest of them Dirty Blues" . The track list is here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GLL1S8/ref=s9_simv_bw_p15_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0PD4X2FQZ40G48X2B58Y&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=507063831&pf_rd_i=5174
Many of the titles alone I wouldn't post here lol. I don't recall paying that much for it either.
Mother Fuyer was played on the "Mr. Blues Show" on WHBI by and according to Harold Ladell in 1949. Pretty bold, huh?

And of course this is a Bear Family CD...which explains the price (don't know why I was thinking Ace).
There is almost always overlap in the track listings on these things, so you'll end up with certain songs several times over.
There's a Legacy collection I picked up from Emusic that has a second (nastier) version of "Shave 'em Dry" by Lucille Bogan.
timevac3

Postby Matt The Cat » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Yeah, I have the classic "Copulating Blues" LP, which has "Shave 'em Dry" and a while lot worse on it. Can it get nastier than "Shave 'em Dry?" I'm not sure. That song would make many of today's rappers blush.
Matt The Cat
Site Admin

Return to The Music