What is your most recent record (or cd) purchase?

Post your stories, histories, questions and answers about anything music related! Turn it up!

Re: What is your most recent record (or cd) purchase?

Postby Virginia » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:41 pm

Yes Tiny is wonderful. The Pickwick does not say that it is re-mastered, but I don’t have the original to compare, it would be pretty hard to improve on this however. One can never have too much of Clyde’s music, “Live at the Apollo” is on the way.
Virginia

Postby Matt The Cat » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:50 pm

Just to clarify, remastering is completely different from a "re-cut."

A re-cut is when an artist goes back into the studio years after they made the original version of a song and records it again, usually for another label. Labels like K-Tel and sometimes Pickwick would get artists to re-record their songs as it was much cheaper than leasing the ORIGINAL HIT versions of the song from the original labels.

Remastering, on the other hand, is when the original master tapes are cleaned up and re-released. Remastering is usually a good thing, unless they mess with the sound too much and change it from its original state. It's terrible when they take a mono recording and "enhance it for stereo." RCA did this with lots of the 1950s Elvis stuff. There was a fad in the '60s when people were buying stereophonic consoles, they wanted all their records to be in stereo. So labels would add extra echo on the old mono recordings to give them the "feel" of stereo. They sounded and still sound HORRIBLE. I'll take mono ANY DAY over fake stereo (and sometimes over stereo in general).

-MTC
Matt The Cat
Site Admin

Postby Virginia » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:54 pm

Thanks Matt, for recommending Clyde McPhatter's "Live at the Apollo" it is truly fine listening. That version of "Such a Night" was very special. Virginia
Virginia

Postby Virginia » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:10 pm

We have been listening to a fun cd “Good Rockin’ Tonight, The Legacy of Sun Records” the cd came out in 2001. It is based on the PBS American Masters documentary, we ordered the DVD today.
Virginia

Postby Matt The Cat » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:03 am

Virginia,
On that DVD you'll see a disgusted Billy Lee Riley complain about Sam Phillips. Plus, Sonny Burgess is all over that show. Good stuff.

-MTC
Matt The Cat
Site Admin

Postby Yum Yum » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:54 pm

She and Him a real good CD just for their version of Gonna Get Along With Out You Now worth the 10 Buck A Roos !! Zooey D. Looks good and sings Fabo !! A real nice surprise A throw back to early 60s music !! SHE AND HIM vol. 2 a must have CD for anyone who enjoys good fun happy sincere sounds !! Ah Ah Gonna Get Along With Out You Now is my song dedicated to SXM to Matt finds his way HOME another great song on the CD !! Yum Yum
Yum Yum

Postby Matt The Cat » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:47 pm

Yeah, I picked that one up on vinyl, Yum Yum. I also have volume one, but I agree that volume two is a MUST HAVE for anyone who digs early 60s rock and pop. Zooey sounds great and M. Ward provides a fantastic backing tracks and production. It's my favorite LP of the year so far. And it sound GREAT on wax.

-MTC
Matt The Cat
Site Admin

Postby Virginia » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:47 pm

Yum Yum wrote:She and Him a real good CD just for their version of Gonna Get Along With Out You Now worth the 10 Buck A Roos !! Zooey D. Looks good and sings Fabo !! A real nice surprise A throw back to early 60s music !! SHE AND HIM vol. 2 a must have CD for anyone who enjoys good fun happy sincere sounds !! Ah Ah Gonna Get Along With Out You Now is my song dedicated to SXM to Matt finds his way HOME another great song on the CD !! Yum Yum

Thank you this was a VERY GOOD recommendation Yum Yum. Virginia
Virginia

Postby Virginia » Sun May 09, 2010 4:01 pm

Maybe I am behind the times (fancy that) but I just discovered Kevin Mark a bluesy/jazzy guitar player from Montreal. His music has a very strong 50’s sound, if you haven’t heard him and his band I strongly recommend you check him out.
Virginia

Postby Yum Yum » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:35 pm

Time Life Box set Romance of the 70s !! Because you can never have enough Romance !! It has some of my favorite 70s songs like Summer by War Wildflower Micheal Murphy Here You Come Again Hello Dolly Parton and a hit that i can never get tired of hearing For The Good Times by Ray vincent Price !! by the way i paid only 4.00 smack er roos at a garage sale and so far this year it was my best savings !! It sells on TV with Tony no phony Orlando pitching it at over a Hundred Dollars !! a good deal !! Have a good Summer Because Summer is my time of year War and Yum Yum
Yum Yum

Postby StL Rob » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:58 pm

Well...my NEXT cd purchase will be Brian Wilson's next CD doing Gershwin music. That is a CD that there is no way in heck I can skip. I love Gershwin's tunes and I love Brian Wilson. It could be a train wreck but I'll gamble that.
StL Rob

Postby Virginia » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:34 pm

champion jack dupree "cabbage greens" on lp
Virginia

Postby Matt The Cat » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:27 pm

Virginia wrote:champion jack dupree "cabbage greens" on lp

Is an Okeh original or an Epic reissue? What's it say on the actual record label, not on the LP jacket?
Matt The Cat
Site Admin

Postby Virginia » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:18 pm

I'll let you know when it gets here, my guess is the reissue as it was advertised as new.
Virginia

Postby Virginia » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:51 pm

Yes it is a new Epic reissue, but if there is a difference in sound I probably will not be able to tell the difference.
Virginia

PreviousNext

Return to The Music