What is your most recent record (or cd) purchase?

Post your stories, histories, questions and answers about anything music related! Turn it up!

What is your most recent record (or cd) purchase?

Postby Fryin' Bryan » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:06 pm

So... what additions have you made to your music collection?

I recently picked up The Beach Boys' Christmas Album 70's press on Capitol. Man, this record sounds good.

I also grabbed 80's reissues of Muddy Waters Folk Singer and The Best Of. These could sound better. Folk Singer is such a quiet recording you've really got to have a pristine copy to enjoy it. Super great stuff by my man Muddy, if you haven't heard this you owe it to yourself. I think I'll have to spend the cash and get Folk Singer on 180 gram.

My most recent CD is Royal Crown Revue's Caught In The Act, 1997 Surfdog Records. This is a live recording but I am not sure where or when the show was. Great tunes, these cats are Swing and if you are into this kinda stuff you'll love this. They do a killer song called "Barflies At The Beach" that is based on Louis Prima's "Sing, Sing, Sing" as well as a great cover of "Something's Gotta Give". I saw these guys open up for Kiss in '96 and thought this is strange. The music styles clashed and they were booed but they left an impression on me. Check 'em out.

My most recent 45 purchase of note is "Twist, Robin, Twist" by Johnny Lang spinnin' offa Stardust Records in the bustlin burb of Norfolk, NE. I lived in Omaha, Ne for a loooong time so I collect stuff native to there (hometown heroes). This song is so funny, it's a direct ripoff of "Rockin' Robin" put out during the Twist craze. Cool record though.

Anyways, post what you've recently obtained. You never know, you might turn someone on to something they'll love. MTC turned me on to The Black Keys (as well as countless others) and they are one of my favs now.
Fryin' Bryan

Purchases ???

Postby Long Island Bob » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:02 pm

Hey, Bryan:

Happy '09 to you and yours.

I haven't made a single purchase in almost two years. I think the last was a bootleg Rockabilly Compilation CD, which included the likes of "Hot Rod Kelly" by the Sabres.

There's oh so much stuff available for FREE if you know where to look and exhibit some patience.

I maintain a lengthy list of my favorite tunes. Anything I might crave to hear at a particular moment in time is on that list. And, there are only a handful on that list I do not already own --- and those few are not readily available anywhere (believe me, I've been looking for YEARS).

BTW, you need a good ear to notice, but the version of "Little St. Nick" on the Beachboys album is a little different than the 45 RPM version which hit the charts.
Long Island Bob

Postby StL Rob » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:21 pm

I haven't bought anything in a while but the last new CD was "Lucky Old Sun" by Brian Wilson. I think its his best solo recording. Its still in my car stereo after several months. It holds up quite well after numerous listens
StL Rob

Postby John From Madison » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:23 pm

The last LP I bought was a new Sundazed Records pressing of 'Johnny Cash: Original Sun Singles '55-'58'. The last few CDs have been a New Orleans Funk Compliation put out by Soul Jazz Records, A Ben E. King Best of CD and the Rockin' Bones set. I left out the absolute last CD I bought for what will be obvious reasons: German Christmas Songs by a local Milwaukee Pommeranian group.
John From Madison

Lastest cd

Postby Yum Yum » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:34 pm

Good post !! Pat Boones Greatest Hits !! JUST KIDDING !! The Folk Years box set from Time Life all the favorites from the late 50s to the early 60s and Where Have All The Flowers Gone !! The Night Prowl Show Was Camelot.
Yum Yum

Postby John From Madison » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:50 pm

Yum Yum - I never would have guessed you for a Folk guy. But then again I probably don't seem like a New Orleans funk guy, either. Thank God we're all so different.
John From Madison

Re: Purchases ???

Postby Fryin' Bryan » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:00 am

Long Island Bob wrote:Hey, Bryan:

Happy '09 to you and yours.

I maintain a lengthy list of my favorite tunes. Anything I might crave to hear at a particular moment in time is on that list. And, there are only a handful on that list I do not already own --- and those few are not readily available anywhere (believe me, I've been looking for YEARS).

BTW, you need a good ear to notice, but the version of "Little St. Nick" on the Beachboys album is a little different than the 45 RPM version which hit the charts.

You too LIB.

re. the list: Post the ones you don't have, maybe I've got it or someone else here does.

re "Little St. Nick": I'll have to compare those 2 versions. Thanks for the heads up!
Fryin' Bryan

Postby Fryin' Bryan » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:05 am

John From Madison wrote:The last LP I bought was a new Sundazed Records pressing of 'Johnny Cash: Original Sun Singles '55-'58'. The last few CDs have been a New Orleans Funk Compliation put out by Soul Jazz Records, A Ben E. King Best of CD and the Rockin' Bones set. I left out the absolute last CD I bought for what will be obvious reasons: German Christmas Songs by a local Milwaukee Pommeranian group.

Recently I picked up The 13th Floor Elevators on Sundazed. What a great reissue. That whole record is Solid. I still need to pick up that Rockin' Bones boxset. It has been on my list for quite awhile.
Fryin' Bryan

Want List

Postby Long Island Bob » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:33 pm

Hey, Bryan (or anyone else out there):

Here are the tunes on my current "want list". I'd appreciate any "leads" on locating any of them:

Our Last Goodbye - Concords - Gramercy - 1960.
Just In Case You Change Your Mind-Four Knights-Decca-1946.
Nobody Wants You Anymore-Bob Gerardi & Classics Four-Recorte-1959.
Voyage To The Moon-Rockin' Chairs-Recorte (unreleased)-1959(?).
Kooka Dong-Gino & Gina-Mercury-1959.
Come On And Love Me-Davy Jones & Group-APT-1958.
Why Can't I Be Loved-Alicia & Rockaways-Epic-1956.
Never Coming Back-Ken Darrell & Rockaways-Epic-1956.
My Babe-Royale Monarchs-Dell Star-1963.
Do You Remember-Five Satins-Chancellor-1962(?).
Once There Lived A Fool-Tony Bennett-Columbia-1951.
Once There Lived A Fool-Tommy Edwards-MGM-1951.
I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire-Tommy Tucker Time (vocal-Amy
Arnell)-Okeh-1941.
I Forgot To Remember To Forget-Larry Donn-Vaden (?)(unreleased).
Long Island Bob

Postby Fryin' Bryan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:13 pm

LIB, I have found Kooka-Dong by Gino & Gina. It should be here in a week (give or take). When it gets here I'll record it for you.

Pretty tricky list. Especially those unreleased tracks. That Larry Donn number was released on a split lp with Sonny Burgess titled Rock-Rock-A-Billy on White Label (WLP 8817).

I'm still working on it...
Fryin' Bryan

Thanks, Bryan

Postby Long Island Bob » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:08 pm

Bryan:

Thanks for the response (and, yes, I know the list is "tricky"). I appreciate your effort.

Had the Gino & Gina 45 back in the day but it was lost, misplaced, or "borrowed" and then unreturned sometime ago. "Pretty Baby" (their only chart success) is my second favorite of theirs. "Kooka Dong" was the follow-up and ranks a distant third among their tunes. The very best is "She Belongs To Me" (a sort-of "country rock" styling ala Everly Brothers). But - it didn't get much attention after "Kooka Dong" was a weak "sophomore" effort. I still have "Pretty" and "She Belongs" on original 45's.

I'm aware of the White Label 8817 lp (from around 1979). As you know, it's the Netherlands (Holland) company, not the UK. They've had some great rockabilly comps over the years.
For years, I've thought it was long ago out-of-print.
BTW, as much as I LOVE Sonny Burgess, I'm not a real big fan of his instrumentals (especially the 1960-61 Ad-Bur stuff) which represent his portion of the cuts on this "split" LP.

My wife and I, along with Matt and Kelly, caught a Sonny & Pacers concert in DC in October '06. Many of the remaining mid-50's Rockabilly "cats" have lost their "edge." Not so with Sonny and his boys.
The NP interview Matt did with them on the night before the concert was a "classic."
Long Island Bob

Postby Matt The Cat » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:17 pm

Hmmm, maybe i should offer that interview to those who subscribe to my email newsletter?
Matt The Cat
Site Admin

Postby BFSD » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:21 pm

I got to see Sonny and The Pacers here in SD on the same tour as the DC show. They just plain Rocked the place.
I think that I sent Matt a DVD of the show?
What a joy.
There was a show dedicated to Wanda Jackson on the Smithsonian Channel last night but I have Direct and they only carry SC as a HD Channel and I could not watch it.
That is a good Idea Matt.
BFSD

Postby Pinball Wizard » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:21 pm

I got a box set of 4 CDs for Christmas.......The Cosimo Matassa Story.

http://www.amazon.com/Cosimo-Matassa-St ... 608&sr=1-1

Lots of New Orleans stuff......Smiley Lewis, Prof. Longhair, Shirley & Lee, Fats, etc.

If you are really into New Orleans music you probably already have most of these songs but as an introduction it is just great. It should be wonderful for Mardi Gras (my favorite holiday).
Phan Clan #917
Pinball Wizard

Postby Fryin' Bryan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:24 pm

LIB, I found that Tommy Tucker tune on eBay. VG copy for $3 + s/h.

here's the link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0114716748

Tommy Edwards "Once There Lived A Fool" is on this LP...

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOMMY-EDWARDS-FOR-Y ... .m20.l1116

and here's the Tony Bennet version...

http://cgi.ebay.com/TONY-BENNET-COLUMBI ... .m20.l1116
Fryin' Bryan

Next

Return to The Music