TV

Post all your general topics here. Talk about your hot rod, your boat, your vacation, your new puppy or anything you want.

TV

Postby Yum Yum » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:36 pm

I dont know about you but TV in the year 2009 really S ks !! The Tonight Show with Conan O Brian is a Bore !! Johnny Carson was a class act and now with David Letterman saying such things about Palins kids Not Funny Dave !! The news with Iran and North Korea and the on going Recession is a real bummer !! So what do you watch when youre paying for cable and its over 150.00 dollars a month !! I enjoyed Dancing With The Stars could not get to ingrossed with American Idol !! I like Weeds on Showtime and cant wait til Curb Your Enthusiam on HBO comes back in the fall and i watch a little bit of Fox News !! But remember when TV was great it seems like it will never be again !! NO BOB HOPE NO JACKIE GLEASON NO ERNIE KOVACS NO BONANZA NO STEVE ALLEN NO PHIL SILVERS NO TO TELL THE TRUTH with ME !! ONLY KIDDING Boy do i miss TV from The 50s right up to the 80S WITH no cable bills and real good shows The FUGITIVE VEGAS NYPD BLUE THE ED SULLIVAN SHOE A REALLY BIG SHOE !!! I could go on and on but its time to watch the News and get Depressed !!! Yum Yum
Yum Yum

Postby Fryin' Bryan » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:37 am

Dear Yum Yum,

You are right, T.V. programming in 2009 does suck. But I think T.V. programming has always sucked. When I do watch the boob-tube it is usually "The Daily Show" (for my news) and assorted programs on Discovery, History, TLC, PBS, NatGeo... things of that nature. I love a great documentary and "House" is fun but that is about it as far as network T.V. goes.

Read some books. Listen to some records. Volunteer. Turn off the T.V. and above all... don't believe the hype!

Sincerely,
Your pal Fryin' Bryan
Fryin' Bryan

Postby Wildcat Rudy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:17 pm

Fryin' Bryan wrote:You are right, T.V. programming in 2009 does suck. But I think T.V. programming has always sucked.

Right on!! The last TV series I actually liked were Crime Story and Max Headroom all the way back in 1986...and even then, most of the rest of it sucked. I never have been a TV watcher and even now, don't have a TV anywhere that I spend my time. The kids watch their DVDs, or play a few video games, but that's it. I'd much rather keep the music on and read a good book, or just stay in touch with everyone online...at least INTERACT and use my imagination...
-= N =-
Wildcat Rudy

Postby StL Rob » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:42 pm

Yea...TV doesn't do much for me. I love Hockey and the season has ended....Go Penguins. The only scripted show that I watch regularly anymore is the Office. It is usually pretty funny and they've developed the characters pretty well.

I've picked up a box set of one of my all time faves: Barney Miller season 2. The show holds up really well.

But as far as current programming not much. I keep meaning to watch Denis Leary's show about the fire department....because I keep hearing it is good. Actually, there is one other show I watch fairly regularly and never watched before this year: Two and a Half Men. Sheen is hilarious in it. I've never been a huge fan of his but he's killer in it.

Fryin' has the right idea...I"ve become so lazy that I don't read enough. I need to do more of that.......even if its just light stuff.

best,

StL Rob
StL Rob

Postby John From Madison » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:31 pm

Marie and I haven't had a TV for about four years and we're better off for it. Books, old radio programs and music are where it's at.
John From Madison

Re: TV

Postby StL Rob » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:27 pm

Yum Yum wrote: ......... Johnny Carson was a class act

and today we bid a fond farewell to Johnny's side-kick. God I miss those people...all of the greats that are gone. Man when I was growing up, you could see Sinatra doing specials on TV, Johnny and Ed everynight, Ali fighting on free tv, Jack Benny, Cosby, Lucy, Bob Hope and Bing every Christmas and Dean Martin. By the Time I saw most of these folks, they were much older but they still had it and as I discovered their old movies and shows......man, you knew why they were legends.

A local radio station show called 'The Men's Room' was playing an old clip from the Tonight Show about some zoo keeper appearing w/ some animals. Ed sounded slightly 'comfortable' and it was so funny. Johnny said to him: 'You think you're fooling people.' I rolled.

Like Johnny Depp said in the new Vanity Fair: 'where are the Sinatras and Martins.'
StL Rob

Postby John From Madison » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:45 pm

Like Johnny Depp said in the new Vanity Fair: 'where are the Sinatras and Martins.'

Today, they take someone who's good looking and without much talent and engineer both their music and persona. It's all superficial. And, yes, I'm cynical.

Remember those Dean Martin roasts on NBC? Absolutely hilarious. In this PC world we'll never see another Foster Brooks or anything like the Honeymooners.
John From Madison

Postby StL Rob » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:04 am

John From Madison wrote:Like Johnny Depp said in the new Vanity Fair: 'where are the Sinatras and Martins.'

Today, they take someone who's good looking and without much talent and engineer both their music and persona. It's all superficial. And, yes, I'm cynical.

Remember those Dean Martin roasts on NBC? Absolutely hilarious. In this PC world we'll never see another Foster Brooks or anything like the Honeymooners.

Call me cynical too because I couldn't agree more.
StL Rob

TV

Postby Yum Yum » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:50 pm

Does anyone care that Who Wants To Be A Millionaire is back on TV ? Or about REALITY shows BORING BORING !! Hope comes in the fall when shows like Curb Your Enthusiam come back !! Till Then The Classics ill put my energy into Sept.13th Matt Day and go forward to VICTORY !! Yum Yum
Yum Yum

Postby John From Madison » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:22 pm

For part of last week, I was in the Twin Cities for a trip and actually watched TV most nights. After flipping through the channels every night, I found myself watching CSI reruns (first runs for me). I enjoyed that show, but still not worth getting a new TV.
John From Madison

Postby Pinball Wizard » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:18 am

I haven't watched anything since last March when Battlestar Galactica ended. I have too many better things to do.

What may be more important for the future of TV is that my 18 year old daughter and her friends watch very little TV. They spend a tremendous amount of time on the internet and they still go to movie theaters but not much time in front of the TV.
Phan Clan #917
Pinball Wizard

Postby chuck-driving2pittsburgh » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:54 pm

Benny Show, Texaco Star Theater, Godfrey Show, Colgate Comedy Hour, Gleason, Hope, Berle, Dragnet, Red Skelton and GE Theater. That was television. As good as it was it never kept me away from the Friday night park dances where the DJ set up his player on the basketball courts.
chuck-driving2pittsburgh

Postby BFSD » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:47 pm

Hi Chuck welcome aboard. Pittsburgh is one of my favorite towns for music.
I only watch two shows on TV. On Tuesday I watch NCIS and Monday thru Thursday I watch The Daily Show. The rest of the Time I listen to music from the 40's and 50's and read. Once you start reading a Robert B. Parker book the time just flies.
I don't think that there has been anything on TV to watch since Crime Story went off. I really miss the TV of the fifties and sixties. We need another Ed Sullivan.
I also go on the WEB and listen to otr.net they have all the great old radio shows.
BFSD

Postby chuck-driving2pittsburgh » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Thanks Barry. I sent you a PM with some "Bossman" info.
chuck-driving2pittsburgh

Re: TV

Postby Yum Yum » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:02 pm

Im looking forward to the Jay Leno Show at 10.00 pm Mon thru Fri. because i love live TV and i cant take anymore reality TV shows UGH UGH UGH also Curb Your Enthuiasm on HBO comes back on the 20th cant wait for that too !! Yum Yum
Yum Yum

Next

Return to General Topics (Hot Rods etc)