Last movie you watched

Post all your general topics here. Talk about your hot rod, your boat, your vacation, your new puppy or anything you want.

Last movie you watched

Postby Melia » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:37 pm

This is the thread where you post now and again and tell us what the last movie you saw was. Tell us whether it was god or if it was crap too :) It's a cool way to get some film recs.

Last one I saw was 'Hot Fuzz' by the folks who made 'Shaun of the Dead' (Best zombie flick EVER)

Not sure if Hot Fuzz was as good as SotD, but still had some good laughs in it.
"We are put on this earth to have a good time. This makes other people feel good. And the cycle continues." - Wolfman Jack
Follow Your Furry Leader on Twitter!
Melia

Postby Matt The Cat » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:06 am

Watched "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" movie on DVD last night. It was just OK and not nearly as good as the 15 minute episodes that air on Adult Swim.

Yum Yum recommended that I see "Scarecrow", a 1973 film with Al Pacino (one of my all time favorite actors) and Gene Hackman. Yum was right! What a great movie. If you haven't seen it, rent it today. They just don't make "buddy" movies like this anymore.

Also, "Superbad" is the funniest film in a LONG LONG time. Dig it, baby.

Good to hear from you again Melia.

Soulfully,
Matt The Cat
Matt The Cat
Site Admin

Postby <><Pontiff » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:19 pm

Last one I saw was "Flashdance" and the one before that was "Footloose" in a theater. At home on CD was "Cars" which I really enjoyed.

Just can't get into most of what Hollywood sells today. I prefer something I can watch with the GrandKiddies and not have to explain language and situations.

<><Pontiff
<><Pontiff

Postby Wildcat Rudy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:16 pm

We've been on a run of watching Looney Tunes DVDs here late at night...my daughter Emily is just like me, at her age, memorizing all of the lines in the cartoons. I introduced her to "Ali Baba Bunny" last week--it's not out on the DVD yet (October 30, actually), so I dug out the Laserdisc I had it on.

As for me, I watched a Laserdisc, "Genesis: A History", a couple of nights ago, and "The Compleat Beatles" last night. Not movies, but I'm more into the music stuff anyway. Favorite DVD lately has been "Pat Metheny: Secret Story Live".

I'm not exactly mainstream... :mrgreen:
-= N =-
Wildcat Rudy

Postby Yum Yum » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:36 pm

One of the best so far a yum yum pick 3 10 to Yuma!
Yum Yum

Postby Melia » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:09 pm

Just watched a new flick called Unholy starring Adrienne Barbeau.

It was crazy weird. A woman comes home in time to witness her daughter's suicide and she spends the rest of the film trying to find out why she killed herself. She ends up embroiled in Government conspiracies, Nazi occultism and brainwashing etc. Like I said, very weird. Deffo low-budget.

I netflix'd it because I like one of the actors in it. I also thought it was going to be more of a horror story but no joy.

I'm really looking for an honest-to-goodness scary movie to watch. Everytime one looks promising, it ends up disappointing me. I want to get scared - sleep with my light on and check under the bed scared. But gory movies don't scare me, they just squick me so not interested in mindless violence stuff. I'm more into what's 'unseen' etc.

So any suggestions would be welcome :)
"We are put on this earth to have a good time. This makes other people feel good. And the cycle continues." - Wolfman Jack
Melia

last movie

Postby Yum Yum » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:33 pm

Its Sat. night and just got back from seeing EASTERN PROMISES with Niomi Watts yum yum! A must see about russian gangs very good action and a very long nude scene but its not Ms. Watts its a very entertaining movie as of now it will be on my Top Ten of 2007 ! Thats All Folks!!!
Yum Yum

Postby Matt The Cat » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:44 pm

Hey Melia,

I just saw David Lynch's last film, "Inland Empire" and that was pretty damn scary and spooky (like most of his movies). I also thought "The Descent" was pretty scary and it takes a sort of different turn than most horror movies these days. Trust me, it'll get under your skin.

Did you see "Frailty" from 2002? I thought that was pretty damn spooky!

-Matt The Cat
Matt The Cat
Site Admin

Three Scary Movies

Postby Yum Yum » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:09 pm

This One Is For You Melia ! BUG With Ashley Judd Its Very Scary Also The Classic Rosemarys Baby With Mia Farrow And This Would Be In My Scary Movie Hall Of Fame Cape Fear The 1961 Version With Gregory Peck And Robert Mitchum ! So Go Have A Good Scare Yum Yum
Yum Yum

Postby Melia » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:57 am

Thanks fellas, I will look into those recs :)

Here's what I've seen since my last post:

"Psycho Beach Party" I wasn't expecting much of a horror movie out of it, but it was a fun little B-movie. It's a spoof on those 60s beach party/Gidget movies with a dash of 70s slasher movies tossed in. Campy, a little naughty, but fun. Reminded me of movies like Hairspray and Cry-baby. Enjoyed it very much.

'Last House on the Left' from 1972 which was a recommendation from a movie buff friend of mine.

More disturbing than scary. I was told that this film along with 'Virgin Spring' were the original Dead Teenager flicks from which all others sprang. Well there were dead teens all right, tortured, raped, and killed by a nearly gleeful band of psycho killers. The twist is that the merry band of whackjobs end up staying the night with the parents of one of the dead teens who find out what happened, and some Home Alone booby traps and a chainsaw later, the parents get their revenge.

An interesting twist by then-fledgling director Wes Craven. The film was shot on a budget of $90,000 and had to have the crap edited out of it to get it away from an X-rating. This resulted in a choppy, often weird film that interposed cheerful 70s folk music with brutal rape and sinister murder.

I didn't really like it much. First of all, I have a hatred of most things 70s. The music, the fashions... just makes me cringe. So I couldn't really get past that. The editing and the weird combination of the cheery music playing over what should be highly intense moments didn't quite work.

Still, we all know Craven went on to bigger and better things Smile

Next up will be Carnival of Souls and 28 Days Later.

Off topic, but I just watched Yum Yum's stint on To Tell the Truth on Matt's blog. I still hate the 70s. Nice bow tie Yum Yum ;)
Melia

Postby Melia » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:58 am

Matt The Cat wrote:Hey Melia,

I just saw David Lynch's last film, "Inland Empire" and that was pretty damn scary and spooky (like most of his movies). I also thought "The Descent" was pretty scary and it takes a sort of different turn than most horror movies these days. Trust me, it'll get under your skin.

Did you see "Frailty" from 2002? I thought that was pretty damn spooky!

-Matt The Cat

You're the second person to recommend the Descent to me. I'd better stick it in my queue :)

Have not seen frailty. Will check that out as well. Thanks!

Yum Yum - I've seen Rosemary's Baby and the original Cape Fear - nice and scary, both of them!
Melia

Postby Matt The Cat » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:01 pm

"28 Days Later" is one of my all-time favorite zombie films. It's sooo good, although the 2nd half leaves little to be desired.

"The Decent" is kind of formula until the end. It stays with you, man. And it's "chicks in a cave", so how can that be bad? Scary chicks in a cave.

-MTC
Matt The Cat
Site Admin

Postby Melia » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:40 pm

Well, maybe 'chicks in a cave' appeals more to guys than gals ;) I'd much rather it be 'hot guys in a cave' but that's just me.
Melia

Postby Wildcat Rudy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:13 pm

Melia wrote:Well, maybe 'chicks in a cave' appeals more to guys than gals ;) I'd much rather it be 'hot guys in a cave' but that's just me.

Well, Melia, I admit that I AM a hot guy. However, that's mainly due to it being humid and in the mid 80s for the past couple of days, as summer makes one final gasp before we get into the apple cider and pumpkin weather for the year. Sorry--that's about as hot as ol' Rudy gets these days. :mrgreen: Anyway...

A lot of the movies I watch often have a musical connection. I've been watching the original Ocean's 11 with the Rat Pack over the past couple of days. It's not really a musical movie, but it does have that connection there with Frankie, Sammy and Dino, with guest appearances by a couple of others (including Red Norvo).

A good example of my musical fixations: I'd listened to some of Henry Mancini's albums while growing up, and then in the past 15 years having amassed a near-complete collection of his albums, and the advent of Laserdiscs and DVDs, I became interested in the movies he'd scored. Some are dead easy to find (Pink Panther, Breakfast at Tiffany's, etc.), but some of the lesser-known films turned out to be quite interesting. A few years ago, I discovered a Blake Edwards thriller (that's right...a thriller) named "Experiment in Terror" that Mancini scored. I can't give out any details, but it has some very tense moments. "Charade" was also an excellent film directed by Stanley Donen, but he also did one called "Arabesque" with Gregory Peck and Sophia Loren that is not yet available on DVD...the soundtrack is very interesting, and I've wanted to hear how it applies to the sequences in the film. One other notable film, which I can't watch that often, is "Days of Wine and Roses" (another Blake Edwards film). There was never a soundtrack album for it--there wasn't much room for music in the film, mainly cues...and the main title theme that I think won an Oscar and/or Grammy.
-= N =-
Wildcat Rudy

Last movie

Postby Yum Yum » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:00 pm

As of now the best movie from my point of view Micheal Clayton with George Clooney not Rosemary Clooney ! It will be a Oscar favorite you heard it here 1st from me the yum yum movie critic of the night prowl show !
P.S. I still think Lucille by the Everly Bros. is better than Little Richards version but that just me
Yum Yum

Next

Return to General Topics (Hot Rods etc)