Vadlyd preamp

Records, records, records. Post your questions and answers regarding record collecting, my personal favorite topic.

Vadlyd preamp

Postby Pinball Wizard » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:30 am

I just stumbled on this. A little expensive, but very interesting.

http://www.vadlyd.dk/English/RIAA_and_7 ... reamp.html
Phan Clan #917
Pinball Wizard

Re: Vadlyd preamp

Postby Matt The Cat » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:45 pm

Absolutely ESSENTIAL for playing back 78s. Along with varying EQs, 78s also varied speed-wise as well. Some labels' 78s were closer to 80 RPMs while others were closer to 75 or 76 RPMs, so a proper pitch control on your TT is also essential. Many companies make EQs like this, often pre-set with specific label's EQ specifications and they vary in price as well.

Awesome stuff.

MTC
Matt The Cat
Site Admin

Postby Pinball Wizard » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:27 pm

There is more!!! I was following links on the site & I found this:

http://www.clickrepair.net/software_dow ... lizer.html

This is a Java program that can convert RIAA eq to the various proper 78 equalizations and best of all, it is FREE! But wait!!! There's even more.

I originally started searching for information on this stuff when I inherited a collection of 78s many of which were warped. I had some success with placing books on the records and leaving them in warm places. Unfortunately some of them were so badly warped that I still couldn't play them. I could however track them just fine at 45. I have no problem then correcting the speed (and pitch) in my DAW. Unfortunately when this is done, they hit the preamp equalizer at the wrong frequencies. The equalizer program actually has settings that allow you to do this accurately! You can play 78s at 45 or 33 1/3 through a conventional RIAA equalized preamp and have everything come out correctly. IMO this is wonderful & it's free.

I don't have a lot of experience with this as I just tried it for the first time but it does seem to work flawlessly for me with Windows 7. There may be some problems but so far it looks great! Highly recommended!
Phan Clan #917
Pinball Wizard

Postby Matt The Cat » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:56 am

Fantastic!
Matt The Cat
Site Admin

Return to Record Collecting