Vinyl's Comeback

Records, records, records. Post your questions and answers regarding record collecting, my personal favorite topic.

Postby Sad Cat » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:28 pm

Fryin' Bryan wrote:Check out this link to a news story on vinyls' comeback, kiddies...

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=7011708

This was so good, I watched it twice!!!
Sad Cat

Postby Fryin' Bryan » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:54 pm

Matt The Cat wrote:
Don't let the local record store die, support them this Saturday and ALWAYS!

-MTC

Amen brotha. I always do, just ask my wife.
Fryin' Bryan

Postby Matt The Cat » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:47 am

Yeah, your wife and my wife have a lot in common!
Matt The Cat
Site Admin

Postby Fryin' Bryan » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:17 am

Extremely handsome husbands with great taste in music?
Fryin' Bryan

Postby Virginia » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:45 pm

I did go to my local record haunt I got two by Ike & Tina Turner (greatest hits & workin’ together) a Jimmy Reed (the legend – the man) and Robert Gordon with Link Wray (Fresh Fish Special). I did ask the owner why he wasn’t on the list and he said that no one had asked him, but he did know about it. Virginia
Virginia

Postby Matt The Cat » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:15 pm

Cool. Your record guy needs to be a bit more pro-active, I suspect.

Record Store Day was kind of a bust for me. My locals opened at noon and I was there five minutes before noon. I had no idea that it would be this popular, as there was a line around the block TO GET INTO A RECORD STORE! I waited FOR AN HOUR in live and when I was finally let in, they were already sold out of the major limited edition 7"s that I was looking for. Still, I bought some pretty cool records and it was good to see SO MANY people out today just to go to their local record stores. The local news was shooting some interviews and some local papers were taking pics. Lots of great publicity for a great cause.

Here is a link to a story about Record Store Day in Maine at Bull Moose.
http://news.yahoo.com:80/s/ap/20090417/ ... _store_day

-MTC
Matt The Cat
Site Admin

Postby StL Rob » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:01 pm

hmmm They had a couple people on KMOX here. One was Papa Ray of the classic Vintage Vinyl in University City. I spent a lot of my 20s in that place. I guess I need to make the jump back to vinyl. If nothing else but to get a few of my old faves and a couple new ones to hear them as they were intended. Its nice to see.
StL Rob

Postby Matt The Cat » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:59 am

It's the only way, St. Louis Rob. The sound on today's CDs is so much worse than when CDs first hit the market 25 years ago, it's staggering. If you dig sound, vinyl and SACD are really the only options today. I'm going to write an article on how bad CD sound is very soon.
Matt The Cat
Site Admin

Postby StL Rob » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:38 pm

Matt The Cat wrote: I'm going to write an article on how bad CD sound is very soon.

I can't wait to read it. I'd love to read about the changes over the years
StL Rob

Postby Matt The Cat » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:46 am

Vinyl coming to BestBuy! Article in today's NY Post.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04272009/bu ... 166384.htm
Matt The Cat
Site Admin

Postby Wildcat Rudy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:04 am

Matt The Cat wrote:It's the only way, St. Louis Rob. The sound on today's CDs is so much worse than when CDs first hit the market 25 years ago, it's staggering. If you dig sound, vinyl and SACD are really the only options today. I'm going to write an article on how bad CD sound is very soon.

There are still SOME good CDs (Audio Fidelity is back into the gold disc releases), but I agree--I'm afraid to buy any new box sets or compilations since the sound will be like dog doo. As much as I like Bill Inglot's work on a lot of my favorite sets, his work on the Rhino "Rockabilly Rebels" box set could kill houseflies at 200 ft., it's so damned bright. Jazz is not as affected, but it's hit or miss with rock music.

And I wish SACD had stuck around...it's still going, but it'll never be mainstream like Sony intended.

I don't buy any modern pop/rock music, where most of the horrible sound comes from. I remember several years ago, my ex had bought a Ricky Martin CD, and I'd never heard such "brickwalling" before! Just as well that she moved her La Vida Loca ass out of my house a year or two later. :mrgreen:
-= N =-
Wildcat Rudy

Postby Matt The Cat » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:30 am

For modern rock music, where the "Brickwall" mastering effect is most prevalent, vinyl is the only way to go in order to get dynamic back. They obviously can't master vinyl with the brickwall effect, so these days, the vinyl master is sounding much better than the CD counterpart. The last Black Keys LP on vinyl sounded really good!
Matt The Cat
Site Admin

Postby Wildcat Rudy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:53 am

Matt The Cat wrote:For modern rock music, where the "Brickwall" mastering effect is most prevalent, vinyl is the only way to go in order to get dynamic back. They obviously can't master vinyl with the brickwall effect, so these days, the vinyl master is sounding much better than the CD counterpart. The last Black Keys LP on vinyl sounded really good!

We just have to hope they don't ever cut an LP from a CD master. Although now that they charge a premium for new vinyl releases, they can afford to get someone decent to master it and make it sound like music.

I had heard the White Stripes album "Icky Thump" (?) sounded really good on vinyl also. I don't keep up with the modern rock though.

I still remember buying Live's "Throwing Copper" on vinyl, which sounded great, and still regret not getting the first Garbage album that way, as our local Tower had it in stock.

A couple (but not all) local Best Buy stores were stocking vinyl earlier this year. Almost bit on "Moondance"...you can imagine ;) how it sounds...
-= N =-
Wildcat Rudy

Postby Matt The Cat » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:18 am

This news segment aired on Washington, DC's Fox 5 News last night (4/29/09). It's a good segment on the return of vinyl. If you look close, I can be spotted waiting in line outside of Crooked Beat Records in DC. I'm the guy wearing the Rolling Stones "Exile On Main St." T Shirt. There's a good shot of me. The only downside of the segment is that they got a very unqualified lady to speak and represent us record collectors. I wish they had looked a bit harder. See, if you can also see the screw up involving Dave Brubeck?

Dig!

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/entertainment/042909_return_of_the_record
Matt The Cat
Site Admin

LPs ain't suppoda spin @ 45

Postby Sad Cat » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm

Do I win?! Was the Dave Brubeck LP spinning at 45 on the Crosley? I did spot you in line at the record store. Hey, aren't you the guy in the Verizon commercials? Giggles. Thanks for sharing.
Sad Cat

PreviousNext

Return to Record Collecting