Vinyl's Comeback

Records, records, records. Post your questions and answers regarding record collecting, my personal favorite topic.

Postby Matt The Cat » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:15 pm

Yeah, Brick Wall compression sucks big time (that's where they compress the signal so much they can bring it right up to 0db, digital's limit, without going over). So everything's as loud as can be and there's no definition. It's peddle to the metal all the time. However, some of the same albums are mastered properly for their vinyl releases. So, you really do get much better sound quality out of a vinyl release these days. CD is a good medium, but they are wasting it and destroying it. I was in a DC record store last week and he told me that LPs make up 70% of his business now. He actually said, "I'm trying to phase out the CDs". I think that's just great! When the dust settles, vinyl will be the last one standing. Vinyl and MP3 downloads.

It's funny Rudy, but I also have Live's "Throwing Copper". I bought it when it came out in 1994. It's pressed on clear wax and sounds pretty good, but I haven't listened to it in many years. I don't think I can listen to Live these days, but it's worth pulling out to see the clear vinyl.

We didn't have Peaches where I grew up, ironically enough, we had Strawberries Records and Tapes. Fruit names were very popular to sell music back in the day. Don't forget Coconuts.

-MTC
Matt The Cat
Site Admin

Postby John From Madison » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:08 pm

In So Cal during the late 70s early 80s, we had Licorice Pizza, the Wherehouse, Middle Earth records (they even had products for your head), Tower Records, etc. I remember a really good selection of oldies places, too. All are now long gone.
John From Madison

Postby StL Rob » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:40 pm

oh Yea Peaches. The one here in St Louis on Hampton had a huge section outside that a tone of rock singers who came into town would put their hand prints into wet cement. I remember Bob Dylan's hand prints. Fleetwood Mac was there; Robin Zander from Cheap Trick (if memory serves).....etc.

Simpler times baby. I want my turntable back.

I only have one vinyl LP left. It is a Monty Python LP autographed by Grahm Chapman. My pride & joy
StL Rob

Postby Wildcat Rudy » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:22 pm

Matt The Cat wrote:It's funny Rudy, but I also have Live's "Throwing Copper". I bought it when it came out in 1994. It's pressed on clear wax and sounds pretty good, but I haven't listened to it in many years. I don't think I can listen to Live these days, but it's worth pulling out to see the clear vinyl.

Their music seems to hold up well over the years--you may be surprised.

All of my vinyl is in storage right now, so I can't even listen to it. No room in the current digs...
-= N =-
Wildcat Rudy

Postby Fryin' Bryan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:00 pm

Stl Rob, one of my favorite record shops is Record Exchange there in St. Louis. Check 'em out. They have an absolutely enormous inventory. I go there every time I am in town visiting the in-laws.

Throwing Copper is so good it is sick. Mental Jewelry is also excellent. Live puts on a tremendous live show as well. :lol:

When I was a kid we had Pickles Records and Tapes. I remember when they added CD's to the storefront sign. What gives with the food names?
Fryin' Bryan

Postby StL Rob » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:08 pm

Fryin' Bryan......how ironic. When I was in college and for a while afterwards, I worked at the Record Exchange. Yup....more vinyl than you can shake a stick at.
StL Rob

Postby Matt The Cat » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:03 pm

At the end of the year, Neilson Soundscan (the company the compiles the sales numbers for the Billboard Charts) compiles a year-end tally. This year, like the last few years before it, the record industry is taking quite a hit as digital music sales soar and CD sales sink. Well, this was the most interesting portion of the report:

Interestingly, the one physical format that did see an up tick in sales was vinyl albums. More vinyl discs were purchased in 2008 (1.88 million) than any other year since NIELSEN SOUNDSCAN began tracking sales in 1991. However, it would foolhardy to think it would become the "next big thing" again. The best-selling vinyl album, RADIOHEAD's "In Rainbows," sold just 26,000 units.

I was one of the 26,000 who purchase "In Rainbows" on vinyl. Nowadays, I just can't buy CDs anymore. If a new album isn't released on vinyl, most times I'll just pass on getting it. I have thousands of CDs, but honestly, I spend most of my days playing my vinyl records on over my tube amp. I guess I'm just old fashioned, but I'm not alone.

-MTC
Matt The Cat
Site Admin

VINYL

Postby Yum Yum » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:11 pm

Matt To Quote The Everly Bros. Thats Old Fashioned thats the way it should be ! Yum Yum
Yum Yum

Postby Fryin' Bryan » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:58 am

Matt The Cat wrote: I guess I'm just old fashioned, but I'm not alone.

-MTC

I'm with ya Brother!
Fryin' Bryan

Postby RichZ » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:20 pm

Matt The Cat wrote:Nowadays, I just can't buy CDs anymore. If a new album isn't released on vinyl, most times I'll just pass on getting it. I have thousands of CDs, but honestly, I spend most of my days playing my vinyl records on over my tube amp. I guess I'm just old fashioned, but I'm not alone.

-MTC

I guess I'm the opposite. Back in high school, a good buddy & I were the stalwarts of the "audio club" at the tech school we attended. Out of HS, while I was still single, I repaired audio equipment for a living, and built monster, tube driven power amps as a hobby. Eventually, marriage and a family moved me into a career with more money and security. But right out of HS, Bob somehow slid in the door at Bozak and eventually became their chief engineer. He worked with high-end audio equipment most of his life. I got to where a decent sounding system and a good collection of 50s music was all I needed. I can't remember the last time I plugged in my turntable, and I do most of my listening from the computer.
RichZ

Postby BFSD » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:44 pm

Since I cancelled all my XM I have been listening to a lot of vinyl and shellac. I have to say that I knew that the vinyl sounded better but XM and CD's were convenient, but now the real thing can't be beat.
Bear Family is coming out with a lot of vinyl.
BFSD

Postby Matt The Cat » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:41 pm

Really? Bear Family on vinyl? I must admit that I don't have any of that. Hey, I recently picked up some Hasil Adkins on vinyl from Norton. Great stuff. At least 3 songs on the LP are about decapitation. You can't beat that.

Hey Rich, if your friend has any Bozaks that he doesn't need, let me know. They'd sound great with my McIntosh tube amp.

I listen to records like most people watch TV. In the dark with full attention on the music. Nothing beats a great audio system. I can appreciate the convenience of iPods and CDs, but it's vinyl and tubes for me.

Right this moment, I'm listening to U2 on vinyl.

-MTC
Matt The Cat
Site Admin

vinyls comeback

Postby Yum Yum » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:17 pm

It will never be what it was no matter how much they put out !! The records were the sounds and the times of the day to put out vinyl now is like being in the Twilight Zone it just doesnt work But hey its only my opinion ! Yum Yum
Yum Yum

Postby Fryin' Bryan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:57 am

Check out this link to a news story on vinyls' comeback, kiddies...

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=7011708
Fryin' Bryan

Postby Matt The Cat » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:10 pm

That's one of my local record stores, Crooked Beat, featured in that Nighline video, man.

Don't forget, this Saturday (the 18th) is Record Store Day! So get out there and support your local independent record store. Tell BestBuy, Wal-Mart, Target and Amazon to SCREW! This is about the beauty that is the independent record store. More info at http://www.recordstoreday.com. You can even look up your local record store to see if they are participating. Don't let the local record store die, support them this Saturday and ALWAYS!

-MTC
Matt The Cat
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Record Collecting