first LP

Records, records, records. Post your questions and answers regarding record collecting, my personal favorite topic.

first LP

Postby Scuba Stew » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:57 am

78's and 45's all allowed for only 2 songs per record (except for a few 45's that had 2 songs per side).
What was the first 33 1/3 LP that was produced allowing for 12 songs per record?
Scuba Stew

Re: first LP

Postby Matt The Cat » Sun May 26, 2013 8:27 pm

Hey Scuba Stew,

That's a very good question. RCA had played around with a long playing format in the 1930s, but never issued any for commercial release at that time. Then some of RCA's engineers went over to Columbia and helped them develop the first commercially available 12" LP in 1948. RCA then worked overtime to develop the 45 RPM single and the "Speed Wars" began. I had to look up what the first commercially available LP was from Columbia and this is what Wikipedia says...

Although they released 100 simultaneously to allow for a purchasing catalogue, the first catalogue number for a ten-inch LP, CL 6001, was a reissue of the Frank Sinatra 78 rpm album set The Voice of Frank Sinatra; the first catalogue number for a twelve-inch LP, Columbia Masterworks Set ML 4001, was the Mendelssohn Concerto in E Minor for Violin and Orchestra, Op. 64, played by Nathan Milstein with the Philharmonic-Symphony Orchestra of New York conducted by Bruno Walter. These two albums are therefore the first long-players.

I hope this answers your question.

MTC
Matt The Cat
Site Admin

Return to Record Collecting