Rock 'n' Roll Books

Chat about songs, topics and people you heard on XM Satellite Radio's NIGHT PROWL SHOW, Matt's other radio programs or Matt's current Podcasts. DO NOT post general topics here.

Rock 'n' Roll Books

Postby StL Rob » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:33 pm

Thought I'd add another subject. I just finished a book by Bob Greene called "When We Get to Surf City" about his days touring w/ Jan & Dean. Fan-freaking-tastic book. This is a 10 star book. Has anyone read anything of late that is particularly good?
StL Rob

Postby Fryin' Bryan » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:23 pm

Just finished Escaping the Delta: Robert Johnson and the Invention of the Blues by Elijah Wald. If you are a blues fan or just curious this is a great read. Wald does a great job delving into the atmosphere of the pre-war delta blues artist. He has some very insightful opinions about Johnson, his music and influences.

I also read Searching for Robert Johnson: The Life and Legend of the "King of the Delta Blues Singers" by Peter Guralnick. This was your basic biography of Johnson, no revelations but a quick refresher at 96 pages. I recommend this as a primer on Robert Johnson. I enjoy most of Guralnicks books and would suggest them if the subject is appealing. He is a thorough and entertaining writer.
Fryin' Bryan

rock and roll books

Postby Yum Yum » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:17 pm

I really dont read books like i used to its newspapers for me and magazines and of course movies concerts and Broadway !! But not to get off of the subject i have just purchased WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE MUSIC PLAYED PUB. by READERS DIGEST and THE ROCK AND ROLL AGE also published by READERS DIGEST two goodies about the early days of ROCK AND ROLL !!
Yum Yum

Postby Pinball Wizard » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:16 pm

I enjoyed all of these. I hope you will too.

All You Need Is Ears by George Martin – 3 cats
Lots of great inside stories about the Beatles. A ‘must read’ if you are a Fab Four fan.

A House on Fire – the Rise & Fall of Philadelphia Soul by John Jackson – 4 cats

Spinning Blues Into Gold – The Chess Bros. & The Legendary Chess Records by Nadine Cohdas very thorough & scholarly – 4 cats

Hal Blaine and The Wrecking Crew by Hal Blaine – 2 cats

Wouldn’t It Be Nice Brian Wilson & The Making of Pet Sounds – 3 cats

Abbey Road by Brian Southall, Peter Vincce, & Allan Rouse – 2 cats

Temples of Sound by Jim Cogan & William Clark – 3 cats great photos!

Rocking America by Rick Sklar – 4 cats The story of WABC. Out of print but you sometimes see it on ebay

Soulsville USA the Story of Stax Records by Rob Bowman – 4 cats thorough & excellent but printed with a tiny font

Cats ratings are just my opinion---your mileage may differ.
Phan Clan #917
Pinball Wizard

Postby Fryin' Bryan » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:25 pm

Pinball Wizard... I just figured out what your avatar is... that's that freakin' dog that laughs at you in the game "Duck Hunt" for the old school Nintendo when you miss the stupid ducks. Man, I'll bet I shot that damn dog more than the ducks!
Fryin' Bryan

Postby Pinball Wizard » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:56 pm

Yes, the old 8-bit NES is still running fine.

btw, if you ever wondered how the gun works, record some Duck Hunt shots on VHS tape & play it back slowly - frame by frame if you can. You will note that when you pull the trigger the duck changes to a white square for a frame. The gun has a photodiode & a lens and picks up the white if you are aimed properly at the duck.

.........wow! an off-topic post to an off-topic thread. How great is this!?!
Phan Clan #917
Pinball Wizard

Postby N. Schell » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:03 pm

Has anybody read "Record Makers and Breakers Voices of the Independent Rock 'n' Roll Pioneers" by John Broven? I think it might be worthwhile. Nick from MN
Nick from MN
N. Schell

Postby Wildcat Rudy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:49 pm

Read some good and mediocre books recently.

Mediocre was a book about Prince, "Thief In The Temple", which was too wordy and didn't give much detail. I'm part of the way through "Dancemusicsexromance" and it is far better, with a lot of song and studio details.

"His Song", a bio about Elton John, is pretty good as well--wrapped that one up two months ago.

Last month, "Bossa Nova" by Ruy Castro, outlines the early days of bossa nova, and ends with the Sinatra/Jobim album. Excellent read. I had no idea Joao Gilberto was such a recluse!

I have one about Andy Summers that I haven't cracked into yet, but it may have to go back since it's due at the library tomorrow.
-= N =-
Wildcat Rudy

Re: Rock 'n' Roll Books

Postby Yum Yum » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:19 pm

A real Goodie Record Store Days From Vinyl To Digital And Back Again its got great info from stores that sold Records from the 50s right up till now !! Great Photos and stories about where the Record stores are today !! A side note i worked in some of the stores mentioned in the book !! A must have for all you Record loving people !! Yum Yum
Yum Yum

Re:

Postby timevac3 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:54 pm

N. Schell wrote:Has anybody read "Record Makers and Breakers Voices of the Independent Rock 'n' Roll Pioneers" by John Broven? I think it might be worthwhile. Nick from MN

Yes, it was a good read. Lots of info in there. Also recently read "Hound Dog The Leiber and Stoller Autobiography".
timevac3

Return to Matt The Cat On The Radio